About Us

A long cherished dream of a Medical College at Madurai the Temple City – came into reality in the year 1954 with the great efforts of the National Leader late Thiru K. Kamaraj. Thirumathi Rajkumari Amrit Kaur, the then Hon’ble Minister for Health, the Government of India inaugurated the Institution on 2.8.1954 at the old Taluk Building at the Fair Weather road, Madurai. The Special Officer Dr. K.P.Sarathy and the first Principal Dr. Tmt. Sarah. J. Sowri were responsible in no small measure for the rapid improvements of the college in a short span of time. The present buildings were occupied by the departments in 1958, till which time they were functioning in the semi-permanent buildings. The fifty students who were admitted in the first batch were fondly referred to as the “FIRST FIFTY”. The University of Madras to which this Institution was affiliated accorded permanent recognition to this College in the year 1954. The first batch of students of this college got graduated in 1960. The Medical Council of India accorded recognition in 1961. Recognition by the General Medical Council of Great Britain was accorded in 1965.Dr. C.K. Padmanabha Menon, an astute Administrator and an illustrious teacher took charge as the first Dean in 1963. The Government Rajaji Hospital (then called Erskine Hospital) along with the Madurai Medical College was administered by the Dean. The number of seats of the MBBS Course was increased to 200 in 1963 soon after the Chinese aggression and subsequently it was reduced to 175 in 1971.

Services or offerings

COURSES OFFERED

MBBS



Helping You Connect

  • Panagal Rd, Alwarpuram, Madurai, Tamil Nadu 625020
  • None
  • 914522532535
  • deanmdumc@gmail.com

Gallery

Images :
gallery-image
gallery-image
gallery-image

Events not found

News not found

Announcements not found